Federal Liberals to cover 80% of repair costs for Alberta government buildings
Earlier this month, the provincial government announced $11.6 million in infrastructure spending for 6 projects in Calgary, Edmonton, and Wetaskiwin.
The projects include retrofits, repairs, and upgrades to 6 provincial buildings in these communities.
About 80% of the funding will come from the federal government, $9.2 million to be more precise. The remaining 20%-about $2.32 million-will come from the provincial government.
In the Edmonton area, the federal government will spend $1.36 million on replacing cooling centres and controls at Government Centre and renewing security systems at the Edmonton Remand Centre. Some of that funding will also go toward replacing the roof and flashing of the Wetaskiwn Courthouse.
The provincial government will cover $0.34 million of the costs for these 3 projects.
In Calgary, $7.92 million of federal funding will replace the chillers, air handling units, and controls of the Calgary Remand Centre; replace the electric heating system at the Old Court of Appeal with high-efficiency boilers; and upgrade the fire alarm and replace exterior window assemblies at the Calgary Correctional Centre.
Alberta will fund just under $2 million to these 3 projects.
Federal funding is made possible by the COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada plan. Provincial funding is through Alberta’s Recovery Plan.
The province anticipates that the combined funding will support about 65 construction jobs, an average of 11 jobs per project. A far cry from the more than 100,000 jobs that have been lost during the pandemic.